Identify struggling students, educate your student body about stress and depression, and create an environment of caring, empowered individuals with LifeAct’s universal prevention program. We’re here to become part of your network of mental health resources—let us meet this critical need for your students.
10-14 Suicide is the leading cause of death among Ohioans ages 10‐14
50% of many mental health conditions develop by age 14
1 in 3 teens ages 13-18 have an anxiety disorder
UROK is LifeAct’s signature program specifically designed for the emotional and intellectual needs of youth in grades 6th through 8th. Our two-day, 90-minute program supports social-emotional learning as students learn to identify stress and depression within themselves and their peers. This program lays the groundwork for our high school program by identifying feelings that can contribute to larger issues like depression and suicide. Your students will understand that talking about these issues with a trusted adult is the best way to get help.
LifeAct knows that early identification and intervention for students with mental health issues is the most effective way to prevent youth suicide. To address this, we incorporate a reporting process into our program. This process is comprised of information gathered from students at several points during the program, in which they can raise questions or concerns regarding the mental health of themselves or their peers.
At the conclusion of the program, our instructors provide school personnel with this information so that they may connect with these students and provide them with the support they need.
I liked the fact that this program and the people in it are willing to recognize symptoms of depression and say, ‘It’s not just a phase, this is serious. This IS real!
Student at Solon Middle School
I liked that I got to hear about other people’s stressors and I realized that what I think is stressful can also be stressful for someone else. That makes me feel more normal.
Student at Solon Middle School
This program “covers a variety of topics this age group needs to hear about…I’m truly grateful that this program exists for students to hear!
Charlotte Thomas, Teacher at St. Brendan Middle School
At LifeAct, we want to spread hope, knowledge, and empowerment to the youth in our community. Through our suicide prevention programs, we let young people know that it’s okay to not be okay.
We believe that:
- Suicide is preventable
- The experiences and challenges of young people are serious and deserve respect
- The best way for students to learn is through interactive, engaging material
- Our program uses group discussion, activities, icebreakers, videos, and a visually modern presentation to teach students this critical information in a fun, lasting way
- Establishing trust is critical: our instructors care about each and every student that receives our program—the trust that they develop in your classroom is what allows them to identify struggling students and connect them with the appropriate specialist at your school.
- Learning about stress and stressors doesn’t have to be stressful
- We take the current epidemic of youth suicide very seriously—however, we want your students to leave our program inspired and empowered, and understand that depression is manageable, and suicide is preventable.
Hear about what students and teachers say about our programs—read testimonials from this year here.