Title: In-Class Program Instructor
Reports to: Program Director
Status: Contract, Part-time (seasonal school year)
LifeAct is a local nonprofit that provides depression awareness and suicide prevention education for middle and high school students. The Program Instructor delivers LifeAct’s signature programs. These programs teach the signs and symptoms of stress, anxiety, depression, and suicidal ideation. Students learn how to identify these signs within themselves and others and seek help. Program Instructors connect students who may need assistance to designated school staff. They do not diagnose or treat students.
Program Instructor Responsibilities:
- Work as part of a Team of Instructors to deliver LifeAct’s signature program throughout Ohio and help market LifeAct’s prevention education program to area schools.
- Instruct students in our 1-day self-care program and our 2-day middle school and high school programs.
- Learn and deliver the evidence-based QPR, Question, Persuade and Refer 1 hour programming for adults.
- Maintain & produce necessary documentation and paperwork.
Program Instructor Key Functions:
- Act as an in-classroom guest instructor to high school & middle schools. Present two-session per class (on consecutive days) with the prescribed curriculum.
- Connect students who “come forward” with symptoms of major depression or suicidal ideation to appropriate contact person in school (Guidance Counselor, School Nurse, Administrator or Outside Agency Counselor). Document all students who express suicidal ideation, symptoms of depression or other mental health issues.
- Complete documentation and paperwork.
- Promote Into the Light Walk at schools served.
- Promote Youth Advisory Board at schools served.
- Attend staff meetings, in-service training sessions and other meetings as scheduled.
- Provide data input pertaining to students served, students reported, and other key metrics, in a timely manner.
Program Instructor Skills & Qualifications:
- Knowledge of mental health and adolescent development.
- Teaching experience in middle and high school grades; in-school or out-of-school.
- Experience with school culture and dynamics.
- Ability to engage and create partnerships with schools.
- Maturity, reliability, high energy and ability to work independently.
- Self-starter and willingness to work flexible hours.
- Reliable transportation, current Ohio driver’s license and auto insurance.
- A background check will be required for this position.
Reliable transportation, current Ohio driver’s license and auto insurance. (LifeAct reimburses mileage at IRS rate.) Willingness to work flexible hours. A background check will be required for this position
LifeAct is a non-profit, with a mission to prevent suicide by teaching young people to recognize the warning signs of depression and to come forward seeking professional help for themselves or others. This early identification helps to initiate the first step in getting assistance – connecting those students with the appropriate professionals. Our program is taught in more than 200 schools by trained instructors and benefits more than 25,000 students a year.